Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Stanley Street!

Born and bred in Montreal, I've known every nook and cranny of every street and park where two or more men could fit into. Going out dancing, from Stanley Street in the 70s to Sainte-Catherine E in the 90s, was what I lived for. That, and going home with the creatures I found within: Montreal Men.


I'm 21 in the pic, the year was 1976. Believe it or not, I was working that summer as an armed (a revolver and sometimes a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun) Brink's guard on the trucks. I rented a room in a McGill frat house -- my huge room was the original mansion's dining room -- at the top of Peel Street. Every Friday and Saturday night I was at Le Jardin, part of the Limelight dance complex of Funkytown fame.


At Le Jardin, I came across three others from Brink's. Three of us! One hot summer week I went out every night of the week, and never felt it at work! I couldn't believe it, so I kept pushing it. All week long! We used to get our pay in cash every Friday. One Friday night I stayed out at Le Jardin all night long. At six in the morning, I walked out into the daylight and checked into the Meridien Hotel at Complexe Desjardins. Checking in that early gave me two nights for the price of one -- another chance to bring a guy to my very own luxury hotel room. Can't remember his name, but he felt good in the cool, fresh sheets.

1 comment:

  1. Quantum Binary Signals

    Professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone daily.

    Start following our signals right now & gain up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete